Tipo de contrato:
The Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Cultures at James Madison University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Spanish-English Translation/Interpretation to start August 2020. Specialization in translation and/or interpreting or closely related field is required. We are especially interested in candidates who have a demonstrated commitment towards building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment.
Duties and responsibilities
• Teach translation/interpretation courses in Spanish-English. Teaching load will be 3/3 with optional summer course (if available).
• Work closely with the coordinator of the Translation and Interpretation Minor, as well as coordinators of the Business, Legal, and Medical Spanish Professional Minors, in advising and recruiting students in the professional minors.
• Perform community outreach to establish strong collaborations through internships and service-learning opportunities.
• Maintain an active scholarly research agenda in the area of specialization.
• PhD (ABD considered-PhD completed by appointment date) in Translation/Interpreting Studies (required) or related field from an accredited U.S. or equivalent non-U.S. institution.
• Native or near-native proficiency in Spanish and English is required.
• Experience teaching translation/interpreting.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
• Relevant professional experience in the field of translation and/or interpretation.
• Specialization in business or medical translation/interpreting.
• Evidence of successful or demonstrated commitment to undergraduate and graduate teaching; and demonstrated publishing record or evidence of scholarly potential in the field of specialization.
• Certifications in translation/interpreting from reputable accrediting bodies.
• Experience in community outreach, particularly with culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
• Ability to teach professional language courses in another language offered in the FLLC department, particularly Italian.
To apply visit http://joblink.jmu.edu/postings/6491 or go to JobLink.jmu.edu and reference posting number F1392. Applicants will complete a faculty application and submit the following:
1. Cover letter. The cover letter should include a discussion of the candidate’s research interests, teaching experience and philosophy (specifically in translation/interpreting), and contributions or potential contributions to the diversity of the classroom, program, and university.
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Evidence of teaching effectiveness. Evidence of teaching effectiveness may include course syllabi and course evaluations, if available (attach as Other Document #1)
4. One sample of scholarly writing, which can include an article, published proceeding, and/or dissertation chapter (attach as Other Document #2)
The names and contact information for three references will be requested as part of the application. Each reference listed will receive an email requesting that they submit a reference through the JobLink system.
Review of completed applications will begin November 11, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
For more information regarding the position contact the search chair, Dr. Marianne Mason, email@example.com.